Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Palestinian woman hit with IOF bullet in the head




KHAN YOUNIS, (PIC)-- A Palestinian woman was hit with a bullet in her head on Wednesday when Israeli occupation forces (IOF) fired at farmers while working in Khuza’a to the east of Khan Younis, south of the Gaza Strip.
Local sources told the PIC reporter that 33-year-old Renad Qudaih was hit while working at her field, which is one kilometer away from the border fence east of Khuza’a.

Woman 'shot by Israeli fire' near Khan Younis
Published yesterday (updated) 18/04/2012 21:17
GAZA CITY (Ma’an) – A Palestinian woman was shot and injured by Israeli fire in the southern Gaza Strip Wednesday morning, medical officials said.

The 27-year-old Rinad Qudeih was hit by a gunshot to the head when Israeli soldiers stationed in military towers opened fire near the southern Gaza Strip.

Qudeih was working in her family’s field when she sustained a superficial wound in the head, witnesses said. She was evacuated to the military hospital in Abasan village east of Khan Younis.

An Israeli military spokeswoman said soldiers "acted to distance" a number of suspects who approached the southern Gaza Strip's border with Israel. She did not elaborate.

Israeli soldiers 'shoot, injure farmer' in southern Gaza




GAZA CITY (Ma'an) -- Israeli soldiers shot and injured a Palestinian farmer on Tuesday in the southern Gaza Strip, witnesses said.

Forces opened fire from an army watchtower toward fields in Khuzaa, east of Khan Younis, hitting Hasan Shenyo in the leg as he worked on his land, witnesses told Ma'an.

Shenyo was taken to the European Hospital in Khan Younis with moderate injuries.

An Israeli military spokeswoman said forces identified "a number of suspects approaching the fence" between southern Gaza and Israel.

"Soldiers acted in order to distance the suspects from the fence," she said, declining to elaborate.

The area is "frequently used by terror organizations to plant explosive devices and carry out terror attacks," she added.

-----------

[ 17/04/2012 - 08:10 AM ] 
 


KHAN YOUNIS, (PIC)-- A Palestinian man was wounded on Tuesday morning when Israeli occupation forces (IOF) opened fire at Khuza’a area to the east of Khan Younis, south of the Gaza Strip.
The PIC reporter said that Walid Eshneno, 27, was walking near the Khuza’a dispensary when the IOF opened fire and injured him in his right thigh.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Beit Hanoun remembers Vittorio: “When he spoke you had to listen”

by Nathan Stuckey
11 April 2012 | International Solidarity Movement, Gaza

One year ago Vittorio Arrigoni was murdered.  Since coming to Gaza, Vik, as everyone knew him, had been a regular at Beit Hanoun’s weekly demonstrations against the no go zone and the occupation.  Vik had devoted his life to ending the occupation.  Sadly, he did not live to see his goal accomplished.  The people of Beit Hanoun have not given up though, they continue to demonstrate, they continue to risk their lives every Tuesday in demonstrations against the occupation.  This week, the demonstration was in memory of Vik.


We gathered at the same place we have gathered for the last three years, on the road outside the half destroyed Beit Hanoun Agricultural College.  The early arrivals seated on a low stone bench beside a wall on the east side of the road.  Finally, the t shirts arrived, in memory of Vik we had prepared t shirts with his photo for everyone to wear.  People quickly pulled the shirts over their own and we gathered in the road.  Bella Ciao started to play over the megaphone.  Young men with flags and a large photo of Vik led the procession toward the no go zone.  How many times had Vik taken this walk with these people?  We marched into the no go zone, we made our way down the paths that our previous demonstrations had worn through shoulder high thistles.  No one is allowed in the no go zone on pain of death, people are shot for even being close to the no go zone.  Want was once some of the most productive farmland in Gaza, home to large orchards, has been reduced to a giant field of thistles.  The houses that used to do the no go zone have all been ground to dust under the treads of bulldozers.  The ethnic cleansing that gained steam after the massacre of Deir Yassin on April 9, 1948 has never stopped in Palestine; the land we walked on was a land that had been ethnically cleansed.


We stopped at the ditch that bisects the no zone.  The flags that we had left on previous demonstrations almost hidden by thistles, the photos Rachel Corrie and Hana Shalabi were gone.  Sabur Zaaneen from the Local Initiative of Beit Hanoun spoke, “From Rome, to Chicago, to Ireland, people remember Vittorio, he is not forgotten and the struggle to which he devoted his life will continue until the occupation disappears.”  When he finished the crowd broke out in chanting, “Vittorio is not dead,” “Vittorio is with the fisherman, Vittorio is with the farmers.”  Rosa, an Italian activist spoke, “Vittorio is still with us, I know this, I feel it even more strongly today, I feel it every time I go out with the fisherman.”  Derrick, an Irish activist spoke, “Vittorio was a giant, and not just in size, when he spoke you had to listen.”  I pray that the world listens, for what Vittorio said again and again is a vital message, the occupation must end, we must have justice, Israeli crimes must not be allowed to continue.  There really isn’t much more to say, every week we gather for this protest, and everything that we say is basically a repeat of that, the occupation must end, we must have justice.  This we say, only this.

Nathan Stuckey is a volunteer with International Solidarity Movement.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

IOF Opens Fire at Residential Neighborhoods East of Khan Younis


10-4-2012

At approximately 9:30 am on Tuesday 10 April 2012, Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) opened fire at agricultural lands and residential neighborhoods in eastern Khuza’a village, east of Khan Younis.  The firing lasted for several minutes.  Two houses sustained light damages.  No casualties or injuries were reported.

Monday, April 9, 2012

Medics: Israeli forces shoot, injure man east of Gaza



GAZA CITY (Ma'an) -- Israeli soldiers on Monday shot and injured a Palestinian construction worker in eastern Gaza, medics said.

The 23-year-old man was taken to the Shifa Hospital in Gaza City, medical officials told Ma'an.

An Israeli military spokeswoman did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

Also Monday, witnesses said that dozens of military vehicles, including bulldozers, ventured 250 meters into the southern Gaza Strip east of Khan Younis and began digging up agricultural land.

Army vehicles were also seen entering the Nahda neighborhood of Rafah in southern Gaza and patrolling the area.

------------


9-4-2012

IOF Injures Palestinian Man East of Gaza City

At approximately 2:30 pm on Monday 9 April 2012, Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) opened fire at Ahmed Hussein Hasannein, 23, as he was collecting scrap near Malaka square east of Gaza City’s Az-Zaitoun neighborhood.  As a result, Hasannein sustained shrapnel wounds in the right hand and foot. 

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Limited IOF Incursion East of Jabaliya

Al Mezan

5-4-2012

At approximately 12:05 pm on Thursday 5 April 2012, five Israeli tanks accompanied by two armored bulldozers moved under heavy covering fire into agricultural areas east of Jabaliya (around the Islamic Martyrs Cemetry and the Talet Sa’ada and Abu Safiya land plots).  The Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) fired several artillery shells while operating in the agricultural areas.  The firing frightened workers at the sewage treatment pools under construction east of Jabaliya as well as farmers tending their lands, and forced them to leave the area.  Bulldozers leveled areas that have been frequently razed before.  At approximately 7:30 pm on the same day, the IOF withdrew from the area.  No casualties or injuries were reported.

IOF Opens Fire at Northern Border Areas

Al Mezan

5-4-2012

At approximately 00:15 am on Thursday 5 April 2012, Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) opened fire at agricultural areas northwest of Beit Hanoun and northeast of Beit Lahiya in North Gaza district.  No casualties or injuries were reported, but residents of the area were terrified, particularly women and children.

Monday, April 2, 2012

IOF Drops Warning Leaflets North of Beit Lahiya

Al Mezan

 2-4-2012

At approximately 6:00 am on Monday 2 April 2012, Israeli jets dropped warning leaflets over areas near the border north of Beit Lahiya in North Gaza district.  One leaflet includes a map of North Gaza, Gaza City, and Deir Al Balah districts.  The leaflet also includes statements about launching of rockets against Israel and assisting the Palestinian factions.  It threatens that Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) will respond with force to anyone who approaches the separation fence between Gaza and Israel.  The second leaflet threatens that the IOF will open fire on anyone who approaches to within a distance of 300 meters from the border fence.  The leaflet states that “anyone who approaches the fence will be forced back by all means, including opening fire…  He who warns is excused.”

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Beit Hanoun: Celebrating the land and culture of Palestine

by Nathan Stuckey


Celebrating the land and life in Beit Hanoun - Click here for more photos

Today, Beit Hanoun celebrated Land Day.  It is true that Land Day isn’t really until tomorrow, but tomorrow is the Global March to Jerusalem, tomorrow, God willing, Land Day can be celebrated on the land from which the refugees were expelled 64 years ago.  Today, Land Day was celebrated on the land that Palestinians have managed to hold onto in Palestine.  Land Day commemorates the protests against the expropriation of Palestinian land which rocked Palestine in 1976.  Six people were killed, over a hundred injured and hundreds more arrested.  In Beit Hanoun we marched under the slogan, “A united land and a united people.”
About 50 people gathered in Beit Hanoun to commemorate Land Day with us.  People from the Beit Hanoun Local Initiative, the International Solidarity Movement, other foreign activists and people from all over Gaza marched with us.  We marched north out of Beit Hanoun toward the no go zone.  We were going to plant olive trees, bake bread, and dance debka.  The women wore traditional Palestinian dresses; some of the men wore traditional clothing as well.  We carried flags, posters, hoes, water and olive trees, these were our weapons today.  We didn’t actually enter the no go zone, we were working on land near the Palestinian police post near Erez crossing.  When we arrived people immediately set to work, planting olive trees, setting up a tent, preparing ovens to bake bread on.  The mood was festive, people sang in circles, children threw rocks into the water of a nearby ditch; bread was eaten the moment it was taken off of the oven.  While all of this was going on others worked the land, they planted olive trees and cleared weeds away from olive trees already growing on the land.  When we finished planting the trees young men gathered to dance debka and sing.
One of the organizers received a phone call.  Apparently the Israeli’s had called the Palestinian police in the nearby police station, they were threatening to shoot us if we did not leave the land.  They didn’t claim that we were in the no go zone, such a claim isn’t necessary in the eyes of Israel, shooting Palestinians doesn’t really need an excuse.  We had no weapons, there were women and children with us, yet soldiers 500 meters away in concrete towers embedded in a giant concrete wall were threatening to shoot us.  It wouldn’t be either the first time the Israeli’s have shot at us, nor the first time they Palestinians simply for being in the range of their guns.  Many people have been shot on their land in the north of Beit Hanoun.  Israeli threats did not force us to leave the area, as one of the young men said, “This is our land, let them shoot if they want to, this is our land and it is our right to be here.”  We left when we were finished singing and dancing.  On the way back to Beit Hanoun we shared juice and cookies, the rewards of a day of being on the land.

 Nathan Stuckey is a volunteer with International Solidarity Movement.

Updated on March 31, 2012

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Rachel Corrie & Hana Shalabi: Flowers among thistles of Israeli occupation

by Nathan Stuckey
21 March 2012 | International Solidarity Movement, Gaza

Rachel Corrie was murdered nine years ago by an Israeli bulldozer.  Hana Shalabi has spent the last 34 days on hunger strike an Israeli prison, yet she is accused of no crime.  This was not the first time Hana has been held in Israeli prisons while being accused of no crime. She was only recently released as part of a prisoner exchange after being held without charges for 25 months. Hana has said that “freedom is more important than life,” and she knows of what she speaks.
The protesters who turn out every week for the demonstration against the occupation and the no go zone agree.
An Israeli bulldozer did not stop the message of Rachel, Israeli prisons have not silenced Hana, and Israeli bullets will not stop our protests.  Rachel Corrie was only 23 years old when she was killed; Hana Shalabi is 29 years old.   Our protest this week was in honor of these women and all of the strong women of Palestine.
 
At a little after eleven in the morning we set off down the road north from Beit Hanoun and towards the no go zone.  There were about 25 activists from the Beit Hanoun Local Initiative, the International Solidarity Movement, and other international activists.
As we walked music played over the megaphone.  Flowers were in bloom everywhere, it is springtime in Gaza.  I was so enthralled by the flowers that I didn’t even think to look up and see if the giant balloon that always floats over Gaza observing our move was there.  We walked past blooming flowers, green fields of wheat, a few olive trees that the Israeli’s haven’t managed to destroy yet into the no go zone.
The change was dramatic.  Gaza is one of the most densely populated places on earth, it is also very poor, any land that can be cultivated is cultivated.  The no go zone is not cultivated; it is overgrown with thistles and weeds.  It used to be one of Gaza’s most fertile areas, full of orchards and crops.  Israel destroyed all of this, the trees were cut down, any houses in the no go zone were bulldozed, all wells were destroyed.
 
We made our way up a small path that we have cut through the thistles on previous demonstrations to the trench which Israel has cut across the no go zone.  The trench is lined with flags from one of our previous demonstrations, Palestinian flags and flags from many of the factions in Palestine.  We were carrying pictures of Hana and Rachel, some of us carried posters of Rachel decorated by the kids of the Rachel Corrie Youth Center in Rafah for the anniversary of her murder.
Sabur Zaaneen from the Beit Hanoun Local Initiative spoke about the importance of continuing the popular resistance and the inspiration that we all take from Hana and Rachel.  We left pictures of Hana and Rachel in the thistles as we left, perhaps the Israeli soldiers can look out from their concrete towers on the faces of their victims.

 Nathan Stuckey is a volunteer with International Solidarity Movement.