Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Palestinian woman hit with IOF bullet in the head

KHAN YOUNIS, (PIC)-- A Palestinian woman was hit with a bullet in her head on Wednesday when Israeli occupation forces (IOF) fired at farmers while working in Khuza’a to the east of Khan Younis, south of the Gaza Strip.
Local sources told the PIC reporter that 33-year-old Renad Qudaih was hit while working at her field, which is one kilometer away from the border fence east of Khuza’a.

Woman 'shot by Israeli fire' near Khan Younis
Published yesterday (updated) 18/04/2012 21:17
GAZA CITY (Ma’an) – A Palestinian woman was shot and injured by Israeli fire in the southern Gaza Strip Wednesday morning, medical officials said.

The 27-year-old Rinad Qudeih was hit by a gunshot to the head when Israeli soldiers stationed in military towers opened fire near the southern Gaza Strip.

Qudeih was working in her family’s field when she sustained a superficial wound in the head, witnesses said. She was evacuated to the military hospital in Abasan village east of Khan Younis.

An Israeli military spokeswoman said soldiers "acted to distance" a number of suspects who approached the southern Gaza Strip's border with Israel. She did not elaborate.

Israeli soldiers 'shoot, injure farmer' in southern Gaza

GAZA CITY (Ma'an) -- Israeli soldiers shot and injured a Palestinian farmer on Tuesday in the southern Gaza Strip, witnesses said.

Forces opened fire from an army watchtower toward fields in Khuzaa, east of Khan Younis, hitting Hasan Shenyo in the leg as he worked on his land, witnesses told Ma'an.

Shenyo was taken to the European Hospital in Khan Younis with moderate injuries.

An Israeli military spokeswoman said forces identified "a number of suspects approaching the fence" between southern Gaza and Israel.

"Soldiers acted in order to distance the suspects from the fence," she said, declining to elaborate.

The area is "frequently used by terror organizations to plant explosive devices and carry out terror attacks," she added.


[ 17/04/2012 - 08:10 AM ] 

KHAN YOUNIS, (PIC)-- A Palestinian man was wounded on Tuesday morning when Israeli occupation forces (IOF) opened fire at Khuza’a area to the east of Khan Younis, south of the Gaza Strip.
The PIC reporter said that Walid Eshneno, 27, was walking near the Khuza’a dispensary when the IOF opened fire and injured him in his right thigh.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Beit Hanoun remembers Vittorio: “When he spoke you had to listen”

by Nathan Stuckey
11 April 2012 | International Solidarity Movement, Gaza

One year ago Vittorio Arrigoni was murdered.  Since coming to Gaza, Vik, as everyone knew him, had been a regular at Beit Hanoun’s weekly demonstrations against the no go zone and the occupation.  Vik had devoted his life to ending the occupation.  Sadly, he did not live to see his goal accomplished.  The people of Beit Hanoun have not given up though, they continue to demonstrate, they continue to risk their lives every Tuesday in demonstrations against the occupation.  This week, the demonstration was in memory of Vik.

We gathered at the same place we have gathered for the last three years, on the road outside the half destroyed Beit Hanoun Agricultural College.  The early arrivals seated on a low stone bench beside a wall on the east side of the road.  Finally, the t shirts arrived, in memory of Vik we had prepared t shirts with his photo for everyone to wear.  People quickly pulled the shirts over their own and we gathered in the road.  Bella Ciao started to play over the megaphone.  Young men with flags and a large photo of Vik led the procession toward the no go zone.  How many times had Vik taken this walk with these people?  We marched into the no go zone, we made our way down the paths that our previous demonstrations had worn through shoulder high thistles.  No one is allowed in the no go zone on pain of death, people are shot for even being close to the no go zone.  Want was once some of the most productive farmland in Gaza, home to large orchards, has been reduced to a giant field of thistles.  The houses that used to do the no go zone have all been ground to dust under the treads of bulldozers.  The ethnic cleansing that gained steam after the massacre of Deir Yassin on April 9, 1948 has never stopped in Palestine; the land we walked on was a land that had been ethnically cleansed.

We stopped at the ditch that bisects the no zone.  The flags that we had left on previous demonstrations almost hidden by thistles, the photos Rachel Corrie and Hana Shalabi were gone.  Sabur Zaaneen from the Local Initiative of Beit Hanoun spoke, “From Rome, to Chicago, to Ireland, people remember Vittorio, he is not forgotten and the struggle to which he devoted his life will continue until the occupation disappears.”  When he finished the crowd broke out in chanting, “Vittorio is not dead,” “Vittorio is with the fisherman, Vittorio is with the farmers.”  Rosa, an Italian activist spoke, “Vittorio is still with us, I know this, I feel it even more strongly today, I feel it every time I go out with the fisherman.”  Derrick, an Irish activist spoke, “Vittorio was a giant, and not just in size, when he spoke you had to listen.”  I pray that the world listens, for what Vittorio said again and again is a vital message, the occupation must end, we must have justice, Israeli crimes must not be allowed to continue.  There really isn’t much more to say, every week we gather for this protest, and everything that we say is basically a repeat of that, the occupation must end, we must have justice.  This we say, only this.

Nathan Stuckey is a volunteer with International Solidarity Movement.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

IOF Opens Fire at Residential Neighborhoods East of Khan Younis


At approximately 9:30 am on Tuesday 10 April 2012, Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) opened fire at agricultural lands and residential neighborhoods in eastern Khuza’a village, east of Khan Younis.  The firing lasted for several minutes.  Two houses sustained light damages.  No casualties or injuries were reported.

Monday, April 9, 2012

Medics: Israeli forces shoot, injure man east of Gaza

GAZA CITY (Ma'an) -- Israeli soldiers on Monday shot and injured a Palestinian construction worker in eastern Gaza, medics said.

The 23-year-old man was taken to the Shifa Hospital in Gaza City, medical officials told Ma'an.

An Israeli military spokeswoman did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

Also Monday, witnesses said that dozens of military vehicles, including bulldozers, ventured 250 meters into the southern Gaza Strip east of Khan Younis and began digging up agricultural land.

Army vehicles were also seen entering the Nahda neighborhood of Rafah in southern Gaza and patrolling the area.



IOF Injures Palestinian Man East of Gaza City

At approximately 2:30 pm on Monday 9 April 2012, Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) opened fire at Ahmed Hussein Hasannein, 23, as he was collecting scrap near Malaka square east of Gaza City’s Az-Zaitoun neighborhood.  As a result, Hasannein sustained shrapnel wounds in the right hand and foot. 

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Limited IOF Incursion East of Jabaliya

Al Mezan


At approximately 12:05 pm on Thursday 5 April 2012, five Israeli tanks accompanied by two armored bulldozers moved under heavy covering fire into agricultural areas east of Jabaliya (around the Islamic Martyrs Cemetry and the Talet Sa’ada and Abu Safiya land plots).  The Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) fired several artillery shells while operating in the agricultural areas.  The firing frightened workers at the sewage treatment pools under construction east of Jabaliya as well as farmers tending their lands, and forced them to leave the area.  Bulldozers leveled areas that have been frequently razed before.  At approximately 7:30 pm on the same day, the IOF withdrew from the area.  No casualties or injuries were reported.

IOF Opens Fire at Northern Border Areas

Al Mezan


At approximately 00:15 am on Thursday 5 April 2012, Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) opened fire at agricultural areas northwest of Beit Hanoun and northeast of Beit Lahiya in North Gaza district.  No casualties or injuries were reported, but residents of the area were terrified, particularly women and children.

Monday, April 2, 2012

IOF Drops Warning Leaflets North of Beit Lahiya

Al Mezan


At approximately 6:00 am on Monday 2 April 2012, Israeli jets dropped warning leaflets over areas near the border north of Beit Lahiya in North Gaza district.  One leaflet includes a map of North Gaza, Gaza City, and Deir Al Balah districts.  The leaflet also includes statements about launching of rockets against Israel and assisting the Palestinian factions.  It threatens that Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) will respond with force to anyone who approaches the separation fence between Gaza and Israel.  The second leaflet threatens that the IOF will open fire on anyone who approaches to within a distance of 300 meters from the border fence.  The leaflet states that “anyone who approaches the fence will be forced back by all means, including opening fire…  He who warns is excused.”